Are you struggling to decide whether to open a new business? Are you unsure which of your ideas are the best ones? Do you find yourself asking people around you what they think about your various ideas? Does this sound like you?
If you are this person, I would recommend a pause to re-examine whether launching a business is the right thing for you. It isn’t for everyone.
The most successful entrepreneurs I have met have a detailed vision of what they would like to create, have made a strong decision to create it, possess a burning desire to see it through, and will stop at nothing to see this vision come into reality. Some will risk everything to make it happen. Does this sound like you?
It occurs to me that starting a business is, in many ways, like having a baby.
- First, we tend not to ask everyone around us if they think it is a good idea for us to have a baby. How much could their opinions really count? Instead, we have hope and we have a vision. We move forward, and we do what it takes to see it through.
- Second, a baby is fun to conceive, but hard to bring into the world. I love this one! Because the idea stage is fun, we think business will be fun. It may be. It is likely to also get really, really tough at times.
- Third, starting a business is similar to having a baby in that you can read and study all you want to prepare, but ultimately, some things can be taught, but other things just need to be learned. You will just have to figure some things out on your own, and learn as you go.
A few other ways that starting a business is like having a baby:
- There will be plenty of sleepless nights!
- A baby will need attention. Lots and lots of attention. So will your business!
- Raising a baby is very expensive. So is a business. And likely more expensive than you think!