As a small business owner, there are many hats to be worn and many roles to be played. One of the best tools you can have in your business arsenal is a program for all your graphics. The question is, which programs do you invest in? Hands down, the best tool on the market is called, Canva. Why? Because this program is user-friendly, has social integration, and has hundreds of thousands of templates that you can choose from and customize with your branding elements. These templates include Instagram Posts, Facebook Graphics, Instagram Story Templates, Facebook Covers, Youtube Thumbnails and even print materials such as Cards, Flyers, Posters and much more!
Another marketing tool worth investing in in comparison to Canva is called Adobe Creative Cloud Express, formerly Adobe Spark. This program is a user-friendly graphics tool that has similar features to Canva such as pre-made templates to choose from, stock photo library and design elements. This program also allows you to easily remove the background from many images without any knowledge of Adobe Photoshop. For video content, Adobe CCE is a great solution. The program features tools that make it easy to resize, trim, crop, merge, reverse, and change the speed of the video. The most beneficial thing about Adobe CCE is that if you already use Adobe programs, you can stay organized with everything in your creative cloud.
Let’s look at an example.
Creating a Facebook graphic for your small business.
Log in to your Canva account and click the tab that says “Create a design.” From here you will be able to select from a list from hundreds of sizing options for your picture based on the platform you are posting.
Select the preset based on the content you are creating. For our purposes we will select “Facebook Post.” From here you will have a blank slate to create any image or video you want.
Now you’re ready to create! Here you can choose from a template section. The search tab will direct you to use templates where you can select and edit them to your liking.
If you want to create your own, use the tabs below the template section.
- The “Elements” tab allows you to resize, change color, and edit any shape, graphics, photos, audio, charts, and frames to your liking.
- The “Upload” tab allows you to upload any image or video from your computer.
- The “Photos” tab features stock pictures you can also use to create your image.
- Finally, the “Text” tab allows you to add text in any font, size, color, or style you are looking for. Here it is a good idea to keep track and use the same fonts and colors you choose to establish your brand identity and create a cohesive look across platforms and posts.
- Once you have created the content and are happy with the look, click “download”.
- It is recommended for still images to download in PNG format, the highest quality image.
- Video ads can be downloaded in an MP4 format.
Once the image is downloaded it will be in your downloads folder and ready to post! From here, simply go to Facebook, add the image and verbiage to your post and you are ready to advertise.
Both programs are very user friendly and offer a variety of features that don’t require expertise in graphic design to create content that can help you promote your business. Adobe and Canva do have small upfront costs, billed monthly, but are a great investment to make in promoting your business. The best way to learn these programs is to research online and watch tutorials.
This, combined with playing with your own creativity, will have you creating beautiful graphics and imagery for your business in no time.